Monday, 29 November 2010

They could've been contenders..... an occasional series

The history of popular music is littered with tales of recording artists who should've made it big, albums that ended up languishing away in bargain bins instead of selling thousands, songs that should, even now be staples of day time radio instead of being known to a select few. Despite accusations of being a bit of a musical snob over the years I actually would like nothing more than for the music I enjoy to be enjoyed by millions... unlikely in most cases though...

Anyway..... back on subject

The Chameleons were one such band, they were formed in the early 1980's and were based in and around Manchester, they were lead by a singing bassist called Mark, there were two guitarists called Dave and Reg and a bloke on drums called John. They were initially signed to a rather large major record label before being unceremoniously dropped, they made 3 studio albums during their initial time together "Script Of The Bridge" "What Does Anything Mean Basically" and "Strange Times" all of which contained powerful post-punk tinged pop songs such as "Don't Fall", "Up The Down Escalator", "Looking Inwardly","Mad Jack", "Tears" and "In Answer". 

I was a bit too young to get into the band during this time, I discovered them much later on (early 1991) when an album was released of the bands John Peel sessions which I bought from my local Our Price and pretty much wore out playing it relentlessly on my Sony Walkman. I was pretty soon hooked and, in those days before Amazon, i-Tunes etc, trawled record fairs tracking down the 3 aforementioned studio albums and various bootlegs of gigs.

The Chameleons never sold anywhere near the volume of records they deserved to and split up in 1987 mourned by a select few, the band did eventually reform in 2000 for a series of warmly received gigs and even a belated fourth album "Why Call It Anything" before once again disbanding.

There have been various reissues of the bands material and rather a lot of compilation albums of demos, live sessions etc, anyone interested I'd point you towards those original 3 albums, the Peel Sessions compilation and "The Fan and The Bellows" a compilation of 1981-1982 demos.

They were a cracking band and one who have gone on to influence the likes of Interpol, The Horrors, Editors etc 



No comments:

Post a Comment